Sunday, June 19, 2011

First Day of Summer School

Dear Ypsilanti,


Tomorrow is the first day of school. There’s much to be done between then and now.I’ve got an upper repertory infection yet again, which means all I want to do is sleep. In Mississippi you can’t get products with Sudafed without a prescription, so that makes medicating more complicated. This information became apparent at the Wal-Mart.
Me: Do you have Advil Cold and Sinus?
Wal-Mart: You have to have a prescription
Me: Isn’t it an over the counter medicine?
Wal-Mart: Mississippi passed a law that says.. (past a laawwww sayze)…

Though that encounter itself is not too traumatic, it was the last inline on a string of events –combined with being exhausted all the time – that left me a little frustrated. It seems that I’m slotted to teach Social Studies in the fall instead of English, and there’s no one to really appeal on that. I may still try. The days are going from 4:30am to 10pm, and writing sentences is proving challenging. Every thought is interrupted with the bold letters B-E-D.

All in all Institute (the training period I’m in right now) is proving to be everything and more I was warned about.

A second year Corps member I went to high school with anticipated this. She gave me a package made up of five smaller boxes, one for each week of Institute. Each one contains an opening letter, a motivational note (to be opened on Wednesdays), some supplies for that week and sometimes animal crackers. Yeah, she’s pretty great.
I spent yesterday asleep, and I will spend today making sure all my ducks are in a row for tomorrow. This means a really long to do list.

I’ll be teaching High School Combo with Biology. That means two 135 minute blocks (One Bio One ELA). I trade off days with another English Language Arts (ELA) Corps member and our students are in the same room from 8am until 12:10pm. The highs school is in rough shape. No technology and a new Principal starting Monday. We’re thinking the service project we might do for them will be a cleaning day. The school for the summer is entirely TFA Corps Members. That’s both inspiring and insane at the same time. The bottom line: start your engines because here we go.

Live from the Mississippi Delta,

Andrew



Image taken from: http://xkcd.com/911/

PS

There’s much more to discuss and I hope to write again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of new things to get used to!
    I'm sure you will have a lot of stories to share!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete